It’s raining babies this season. Right from Kareena Kapoor to Amrita Rao to Anushka Sharma, many other celebs too announced their pregnancy. Looks like some couples made really good use of the lockdown *wink wink*
That being said, these celebrities have been raising maternity fashion to new heights with never a dull look. Yup pregnancy doesn’t have to be all loose and boring dresses. With some special wardrobe tricks and fashion tips, you can also use most of the clothes from your old wardrobe to create some new and interesting looks and make a style statement as you make those heads turn.
With a little bit of glamour, combined with some sass and the confidence of a diva, you can own any outing or event even with a baby bump.
1. Jeggings, leggings and yoga pants can be a great choice over regular denims in case you don’t want to spend buying maternity wear. These are stretchable and will accommodate the growing baby bump for a few months.
2. Low waist jeans can be worn for up to a few months. Use a rubber band or a scrunchie to secure the buttons if you have difficulty closing them.
3. Tight clothes can be camouflaged with a jacket or a shrug. Depending on the season you could go in for a long sleeveless shrug for the summers. Wear these over your regular salwar kamees or kurtis which still fit. These also look great over dresses or a skirt and top.
4. Peplum tops are quite flattering. While choosing dresses, go in for midis or maxis as the growing belly will raise the hem higher of short dresses. Pair with a stylish purse or clutch.
5. Crop tops can be a great alternative instead of regular saree blouses while draping one. Also adds oomph to your style quotient.
6. Buying solid colours instead of large prints can be a wise thing to do. Pair it with contrasting colour accessories or bold printed stoles. If you are going in for prints choose vertical ones over horizontal as they will stretch across the tummy. But who cares if you can carry it off with panache.
7. Dungarees, jumpsuits and bodysuits look great if only you could manage your frequent peeing sessions unbuttoning those in time (Tip: panty liners can be real saviours here).
8. If going in for front opens, wear a size bigger shirt or jacket that will close easily over the belly. Wrap coats and oversized pullovers can be a great idea for winter wear.
9. Invest in Bra extenders for the first few months. These will help you even with the weight gain postpartum. If you are buying new bras, it’s better to invest in feeding bras right away and wear the same through your last trimester if you plan to breastfeed your baby.
10. Buy sandals or platform heels and avoid pumps and stilettoes because they may strain your lower back and also put pressure on the veins in your legs. Many women suffer from edema and varicose veins so investing in a good pair of breathable comfy sandals is a great idea. Shoe laces can be a challenge to tie with that tummy: slip on shoes or sneakers with elastic bands can be picked instead.
That being said here are a few maternity brands and pregnancy wear worth checking out. (You’re Welcome!)
1. First Cry
2. Mom to Be
10. The Mom Store
You go girl, slay it in style.