Fashion and beauty industry has a tainted image of objectifying females and making them fee uncomfortable in their own skin. Setting uncalled beauty standards since decades now, the industry continues to play the dirty game of envy and pride on and off!
But, like a fresh breeze in the late summer, we see a refreshing change in the brands and their approaches. Whether it is marketing with plus size models or making a darker range of foundation available for customers – there is a way of change that all are witnessing from time to time.
Let us have a look at these brands that rose from the ashes of misconception and guided each one of us on “Feminism done right!” through their marketing and products.
Presenting the brands that are successfully shattering beauty standards worldwide!
- Summersalt : A swimwear and travel wear brand that lives by the ideology of “everybody is beach body”. Shaking the unwanted ideal beauty standards, they believe in inclusivity of everyone. Leaving the idea of over sexualising a swimsuit, the brand focuses on selling comfort and memories. It is meant for all!
- Dove : Known to be gentle as a product, dove did come with a hard hitting campaign titled – “MyBeautyMySay”. These marketing campaigns became a talking point for a long time. The campaign highlights the strides that each woman has to take in order to reach where she is no matter what her race, size, colour, religion or body type is! Watch it here :
- Fenty Beauty : Owned by Rhiana, the brand features 50 shades of foundations to prove a point that women don’t need to be fair to look pretty. So far, the dark range of foundations was always out of the question but Fenty Beauty made it possible. No doubts, it was an instant hit.
- Nike’s Plus size collection: Nike has been known for its quality since decades. But, we seldom witnessed them rifting with body standards. However, with their Plus Size Swimwear collection they provide what they stand for to all of us.
- Forever21 – Plus size denims : Forever 21 has always been associated with youth and certainly a brand that will stick to these beauty standards. However contrary to the popular belief, they too launched the plus size denims tat became instantly a hit.
If you dig a little deeper, you will come across ample of such campaigns that challenged these beauty norms and proved their point pretty loud and clear. Can you think of any such brand that voiced its opinion against body shaming and colour description? Let us know in the comment section below!