Child Sexual Abuse includes an array of sexual activities like fondling, inviting a child to touch or be touched sexually, intercourse, exhibitionism, involving a child in prostitution or pornography, or online child luring by cyber-predators. Here are some spine chilling statistics reported on sexual abuse and violence on children.
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) as “the involvement of a child in sexual activity that he or she does not fully comprehend, is unable to give informed consent to, or for which the child is not developmentally prepared and cannot give consent, or that violates the laws or social taboos of society”
Here are some spine chilling statistics reported on sexual abuse and violence on children.
1. More than a 100 children are sexually abused every day in India. But 99.1 percent of such cases are not even unreported.
2. Every 155 minutes, a child under 16 years of age is raped. 90% Of Abusers Are Known To Victim.
3. About 1 in 10 girls under the age of 20 have been forced to engage in sex or perform other sexual acts.
4. Many victims of sexual violence, including millions of boys, never tell anyone.
5. Around 53% of Indian children reported experiencing different kinds of abuse, which included being forced to nude photography, assault, inappropriate touching, and sexual abuse.
About 37% of India’s population comprises children under 18, with a large proportion of them lacking basic nutrition, education, and access to health services. There has been a spike in cases of domestic violence and child abuse in during the “lockdown.”
LET THAT SINK IN.
Source: NCRB, WHO, NCW, UNICEF