It’s the time of year where people can get stuck indoors. If you have a gym membership, that’s great! But if you don’t, there are still plenty of ways to stay active and concentrate on your health and fitness. In winters it sometimes take s days till you’re able to get outside and do your favorite activities. With winter temperatures being so low, you get limited to indoor activities.
Although it can be a little bit tougher to stay fit this winter due to the temptation of comfort foods and less physical activity, there are still ways to keep your body in shape. In fact, cold weather is an opportunity to try new indoor physical activities.
The holiday season is a time when many of us gain weight. Instead of focusing on losing weight in the new year, make this winter the time you try new fun activities. If you’re stuck indoors due to bad weather, try one or more of these activities for a few minutes each day:
Here are 10 ideas for winter workouts you can do in the comfort of your own home.
1. Clean the house. floors, mopping, scrubbing walls, and vacuuming are all great ways to get a good workout. Plus, cleaning makes your home tidy and clean.
2. Do chores around the house. Mowing the lawn, raking leaves, shoveling snow, washing the car, and cleaning out the garage can all be considered chores. But if you’re putting in a good effort, they can also be considered workouts.
3. Go for a walk. If you can’t go for a run or hike, at least get in an hour-long walk every day. Even if you just take the dog out for a stroll, you’ll still be burning calories and getting in a great workout.
4. High-intensity cardio and leg workout. When we finally get the chance to work out during the winter, we often do more high-impact exercises. This may be too much of a shock on our bodies and lead to injury, so it’s important to remember that form and function still matter.
5. Plant a garden. Planting a garden is a lot of work, but it can also be very rewarding and fun. Plus, you’ll get in a great workout and get your hands dirty.
6. Dancing, yoga and martial arts. Dancing is a wonderful way to tone your arms and legs. It also increases stamina, makes you smile more and improves mood. Yoga helps you stretch your muscles and relieves stress. Martial art is a great workout that strengthens muscle groups in arms, legs and abs.
7. Jump rope. Any kind of jumping can be a great workout, but jump ropes are fun and easy.
8. Ride a bike. Biking is fun and it’s got great cardiovascular benefits.
9. Play basketball or volleyball. Pick up a good game of basketball or volleyball. It’s a fun group activity that can give you a great workout. Plus, it’s a great way to get in touch with your competitive side.
10. Play tennis (or any other racquet sport). Another great workout that you can play with friends and family, tennis is a great game that can get you in shape with little investment.
For more health and fitness tips, click here.