“Feminism” the most controversial term in today’s time! Be it facebook or instagram – you will often find pages and communities dedicated to feminism. On the other hand you will find hashtag #FakeFeminism used atleast a million times.
So what exactly is feminism?
According to the dictionary – The advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.
Feminism at its core is about equality of men and women, not “sameness.” So many people offer up the argument that women are not the “same” as men so there can’t be equality. In other words, because their bodies are different (many say “weaker” and smaller), and because men and women have different physical capabilities, these physical differences mean equality is not possible.
Naturally, the share of population that doesn’t share this ideology and believe in male superiority are termed as ANTI FEMINSITS!
So far, so good! But do we realise, that some times in the quest of being an ardent feminsit, we become anti feminists?
Here is a compiled checklist to determine if you are unknowingly being anti feminist. Read on.
- Working women > Homemakers: The fundamental of being a feminist lies in respecting choices. Feminism is to be able to choose. Whether one decides to work or stay home, there should not be any comparison. If you find yourself weighing working women over homemakers – Sorry, that is not feminism!
- Us v/s They: Contrary to a popular belief, feminism is not against men! A lot of us often confuse it. In reality, feminism is about co-existing with one another instead of fighting with each other. So, if you are making it us against them – that is a wrong kind of feminism!
- Deeming what one chooses to wear: Feminism means freedom, yes that is true! But, feminism also means being able to choose. If one community opts to wear covered clothes and you are calling them orthodox then, you need to recheck your idea of feminism.
- Patriarchy or feminism?: When men say that they respect the females and tend to help them out thinking that they won’t be able to do it is also a wrong idea of feminism. Some men appear to be chauvinist and have deep-rooted patriarchy that comes out in the form of feminism.
- Slangs that are demeaning: You are into a wrong idea of feminism when you share posts about feminism and often find yourself passing sexist jokes in your social circle and hurl abuses every now and then which are demeaning and crass!
Nobody among us was born a feminist. In fact, we all were diluted with racism, casteism, sexism, and whatnot! but, the problem arises when we refuse to learn. When we refuse to grow.